Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

British, London based

Rate Me on BlogHop.com!
the best pretty good okay pretty bad the worst help?

Friday, August 12, 2005

Back now, hen the wiser

Three years in the US of A had forgotten me that Cricket was so exciting.

I became extremely attached to my radio on the drive to Newmarket races on Saturday for part of The Future Mrs Archer's Hen Weekend, and was very disgruntled on arriving to discover that there was not one single TV screen on the entire racecourse showing the Cricket (2nd Ashes Test). I just can't understand why they didn't put a big screen up like Windsor did - it was very selfish of the Authorities. I am certain that oohing and aahing over the luscious newly-blue-haired KP and Ashley Gillo would have been a much better lubricant for a Hen Afternoon than the runners and riders for the 2.45 at Haydock Park.


My mood did not improve when, despite betting £2 on a horse in claret and blue colours, then a horse with the name Shepton Villa, and finally a horse that was allegedly trained in Lichfield (where in Lichfield?? Round the station car park? ), I won zilch.


Nevertheless, the races were fun, mainly because of the decent bunch of girls there. I am extremely wary of hen weekends, as they can be excruciating, particularly when you don't know most of the other hens. We also got v good goodie bags, consisting of:


1 Super Slimmers food diary
1 miniature of Archers Peach Schnapps
1 bright pink fluffy hairslide
1 bright pink fluffy fan (as used by strippers)
1 biscuit in the shape of a lunchbox, if you follow my drift
1 Future Mrs Archer dogtag.

I was sad to see them head back in their minibus. But the rest of the weekend beckoned, and I had to get back on the road to deepest Suffolk to see lurkingricardo, Jane and wee Robbie (my godson). It was a big weekend for Robbie: his First Paddle (in rather cold North Sea), his First Chips (the beginning of the end) and best of all, his First Victorious Ashes Test.

I am determined that his first word will be "Wicket!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Top of the British Blogs