Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

British, London based

Rate Me on BlogHop.com!
the best pretty good okay pretty bad the worst help?

Friday, March 04, 2005

Things to Make and Do

There has recently been a lot of stuff on NPR about how certain people are paid by companies to plug stuff to all their friends. I am not one of those people.

However, there is some stuff I'd like to plug all the same...

www.skype.com I was somewhat surprised when my laptop's telephone rang today. Firstly, I hadn't even realised my laptop had a telephone. Secondly, when I finally figured out how to pick it up, who was on the other end of line but El Ricardo, the father of my godson. Ricardo lives in darkest Suffolk (England, not Virginia), a place even closer to the middle of nowhere than here. But his voice was so clear it sounded like he was in the same room, not 3000 miles away, and I wasn't even using a headset or microphone. Best of all, it was one hundred percent free. Nil money. I like that. Anyway, I strongly recommend you all go out and download the Skype software (also free) so you can get your computer's phone ringing too.

www.biddingfortravel.com This site sort of reminds me of the I Love 7s, only it takes itself even more seriously. The basic idea is that you can make a request (free) to BiddingForTravel with your requirements, and a brutally efficient crack squad of nerds will work out a bidding strategy for you to get the flight/room you want for the lowest possible price on Priceline. I say brutal, because if they don't like the way you ask, they will unilaterally erase your request and/or ask you to resubmit in the officially approved manner. If your ego is too fragile to cope with that, or if you just can't be bothered to go through that hooha, the site still has useful data on what other people have successfully bid recently for rooms in different areas. Alternatively you can suddenly wake up in the night and remember that you have a classmate who works at Priceline and will give you all the data you want without you having to cosy up to any touchy nerds and their algorithms.

http://www.seatguru.com Very simple. You just select the airline and type of aircraft you will be flying in, and it will tell you everything you need to know about what seat to ask for and what seat to avoid like the plague.

Enjoy. More next month.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Top of the British Blogs