Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

British, London based

Rate Me on BlogHop.com!
the best pretty good okay pretty bad the worst help?

Monday, April 25, 2005

The Condemned Woman

Gossip wise, the scoop is that someone terribly famous (although I am 100% certain that when we are told who it is, we'll all say "errr, who??") has been offered the Dean's job. An update is due mid this week. We may have a new Dean lined up by the weekend!

***

It finally occurred to me what has been going on. My eyes keep tearing up at the most inconvenient moments, you see: today, in one of the academic assistant's offices; yesterday, walking down the Downtown Mall; driving on the R250 all the time; and on Friday, about a dozen times while I was updating EnglishJustin and Nathalie on what I have been up to lately.

I remind myself of the final episode of Dawson's Creek, when everyone discovers that Jen is suffering from a mysterious illness and only has days to live.

I feel as if I had only days to live.

People talk about things that will be happening later this summer- even I talk about things that will happen later this summer - and then I suddenly remember that I will not be here, and these things will be happening without me.

Yesterday I was repacking my possessions into new moving boxes, and kept finding things I wanted to give away to people: bequests, if you will. ScaryCzechLady is getting a lovely green pair of shoes from Nine West that I bought myself as a graduation present last year, but never wore. TheSplash is to be the lucky recipient of a book from the UK (ex libris) about Investment Banking in Europe that I never read. LandladyLynn will be getting my Japanese tree, my lemon mint plant, and all my fairy lights. EnglishJustin I gave my collection of smuggled-in Twinings tea. And CFYRG is going to receive my treasured copy of Steve Redgrave's Guide to Rowing, c 1991.

***

I did find a few interesting things in my boxes, including some old rowing photographs I forgot I had. This reminded me of my claim to fame (other than being the elder daughter of Miss Aston Villa 1970, that is). Tim Rawle, of Cambridge Portfolio photography fame, mainly takes pictures of architecture and landscapes. He has, however, published precisely two rowing pictures in his career, and I am in one of them. Literally thousands of people own calendars and diaries featuring my busily rowing mugshot (under June, because obviously the May Bumps are in June). If you want to check me out, go to

http://www.cambridge-portfolio.co.uk/cppl/imageinfo.asp?caller=imagelist.asp&id=1051&seq=0

Aren't we well sat?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Top of the British Blogs