Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

British, London based

Rate Me on BlogHop.com!
the best pretty good okay pretty bad the worst help?

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

The incredible disappearing Canadian

Once more a quick gossip update: KeithZ is getting married, in July! Apparently he proposed having already booked the church and reception: a brave man. And Noelle and Vikas are also apparently getting married, god help their children.

***

Went to Tuesday Night Drinking Club last night. For some reason, Tuesday NDC is always a lot more fun than the traditional Thursday NDC. Maybe it's because the Tuesday version is always in South Street Brewery, which is a relatively decent joint, compared to the absolute dives which always get picked to play host to TNDC. The SSB at least has reasonably clean floors, serves beer in real glasses not plastics, and the music is low enough you can hear yourself shout.

Over dinner with AsianStudiesMeredith, KeithZ (who out of the blue announced he was getting married and moving to Syracuse) and an extremely entertaining Asian American FY called Mac, we were trying to pick out nice looking guys in the bar for ASM to go up and talk to.

ASM looked gloomy.

"There's no point," she said. "I'm moving to San Francisco soon."

(Now I am hardly an expert in how to approach people in bars - even people who aren't strangers: the Irish Bar in Philly was very definitely an aberration. So it was perhaps a bit disingenuous of me to persist. But it all seems so much easier when you're giving advice to someone else.)

"Rubbish!" I piped gaily, gesturing at an inoffensive blond guy in a green striped shirt having a quiet drink with his mate. "Look! I bet that man there is visiting from San Francisco, and he's thinking, there's no point talking to any of these girls, because I'm not around for long."

ASM did not look convinced.

However here comes the weird part.

I got up to go looking for my Canadian friends at the other end of the bar, and just as I passed the GreenstripedshirtGuy, I heard him say.. "... and I just arrived from California three days ago."

I stopped dead in my tracks.

"Are you from San Francisco?"

"Yes."

Ha.

***

He turned out to be the new chief of staff of radiology at UVA. OK, so he isn't going back to Stanford any time soon, but hey, the moral victory was all mine.

***

But I digress, onto the main business of the evening. I was also meant to be meeting my Canadian friend HockeyAnnaMac, who I hadn't seen for aeons. Not since we went on a girls weekend to DC last summer, I don't think. She's been doing a PhD in psychology at UVA, and rowed in my four last year.

Anyway, I almost didn't recognize her. She had lost so much weight- well over 20 pounds, she said. And this is someone who was only 5' 5 in the first place, and who played sport (ice hockey and rowing) several times a week. I was completely amazed, almost to the point of forgetting my manners. It did give me hope, however. She used to have a chest the same size as mine, and now there is hardly anything left. So it just shows that it can be done.

But there was more big news to come from the incredible disappearing Canadian. She is literally disappearing, in the sense that she is dropping out of the PhD program. She's got her masters, and reckons that she can get just as good a market research job with that than sticking around for another three or four years in academia...

It's all happening down at the SSB.


***

Last of all I must say welcome to all the new readers kindly directed here by Lloyd over the course of the DRC's trip to Philly. Thanks Lloyd. Your new name, effective immediately, is BigMouthGuy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Top of the British Blogs