Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

British, London based

Rate Me on BlogHop.com!
the best pretty good okay pretty bad the worst help?

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Time immemorial

Boxes packed today: it's only midday, but my target for this afternoon is 8.
Weather: cold, damp, and grungy, as has been and is forecast to be all week. Almost like I am being conditioned for going back to England.
People definitely coming to my Leaving Event so far: 5
Target attendance at my Leaving Event: 6

***

So I scored a semi big victory yesterday. My sometime evilemployers in NYC have agreed, after two weeks of badgering, to let me write a case about them. Now I just need to find a competition to enter it into. Winning competitions pays so much better than the actual writing of the cases.

Bizarrely, in the last few days I have had a whole load of folks offering congrats about my Page Society case competition prize. It's a bit odd because it was announced way back in early March. Just goes to show how slowly time moves in academia, I guess.

Talking of which, the search for a new Darden Dean is no longer running in slow motion: it appears to have stopped altogether. Originally the headhunters said they wanted to find someone by March to start in July. Then the search committee issued various flaky pronouncements about how they had hundreds of leads and were busy pursuing them. Then absolutely nothing. And now, although Gene Block, the Provost of the University and President Casteen's chief henchman, has done an impressive job enforcing secrecy during the search with his ceremonial truncheon, there are still enough Deep Throats round school for word to have leaked out that all three of the shortlisted candidates have turned the job down, including the first choice, Paul Danos, who is current Dean of Tuck.

The thing is, the rules of academic cricket say that anyone moving to a new university needs to resign from their old institution by April 1 of the previous academic year. And we are almost into June now, so it looks like we can't get a Dean from academia until September 2007.
Anyone know Carly's cellphone number?

***

I haven't written anything about graduation, which was on Sunday. It was fun being an observer, rather than a participant. However I was reminded once again of my major gripe from last year about the disgusting colour of the b-school and McEntire school mortar board tassels and hood linings. The medics get Robin Hood green, the lawyers, regal purple, the engineers, cheerful orange, and the architects, a sexy "blue violet" (ie, pink). What do we get? Sludge brown. Revolting. It would be better if we had red or black, depending on whether Darden was running a surplus or deficit that year.

***

In other graduation news, I worked the Second Year Pig Roast Graduation Picnic for the third year running on Saturday. I was chief parking superintendent, with a little pork shoulder carving on the side. It was kind of amusing having well meaning parents coming up to me to say don't worry, it will be your turn [to be a second year and have first years wait on you] next year. If only they knew.

I arrived at 2.30 to help set up, and was surprised to see that BFR was there with the GirlFromAcrossTheCreek. BFR apparently thought that his new girlfriend - who's not connected in any way with Darden and who knows no-one - would enjoy a date spent working the pig roast. They had been there since 12pm, and she was still lugging black plastic trash sacks back and forth when I left at 8pm.

I also managed to freak out David Perdue III's dad. David Perdue II is the CEO of a company called Dollar General, which runs those stores where you can buy anything for a dollar. My only previous acquaintance with Perdue pere was from a class he once sat in that I was in, and even then I barely recognized him. However, the Duncanadian introduced us, and I said hello, and then without thinking, blurted: gosh, it must be a busy week for you, what with your son graduating tomorrow and your first quarter results out on Thursday.

Now Dollar General is not a huge company by US standards (c$8bn market cap) and is neither famous or glamorous. The poor man just could not understand why a random girl at a BBQ in a stetson and pork grease stained t-shirt was so intimately familiar with his financial calendar.

Standing next to his super high achieving son, who is shortly off to Goldman Sachs in New York, I was not about to confess the truth, which is that my own evilemployers in New York were looking for someone to proofread the transcript of Dollar General's earnings conference call on Thursday.*

*A great opportunity I was unable to take advantage of, owing to my expired visa status.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Top of the British Blogs